51. YNG QUECAMING SAPNI


Yng Quecaming Sapni
Nang: Louie Aldrin Lacson Bartolo


Metu caming simpling miyasaua
Atin caming aduang anac a lalaqui
Atin nalang sariling familia
Ampo mangasanting a anac

Yca pangane, dadalan me yng laguiu tamu
Ycaming pengari mu pagmaragulan da ca
Mipmu ca qng cabiasnan ampo sicanan
Biasa ca sana manupaya ampo mamiye

Yca bunsu, pagmaragul da ca rin
Mipmu ca qng casipagan ampo capanatindian
Tune cang ayasahan nucarin man bage 
Biasa ca sana maquiramdam quecaming mangatua

Ycong aduang mangalagung manuiang cu 
Masuelu cayung sinalagpi quecaming sapni
Tinggap da ca yu, balamung tune ming anac
Yturu yu sana careng anac yu yng cayapan

Ycaung apu mi, tune cayung mamiye tula ampo sicanan
Ala caming pinili nung ninu quecayu yng luguran mi
E cami maglele uling pante mu yng lugud mi quecayu
Luguran yu la sana reng quecayung pengari

Nung miras yng oras ning pamaglaco mi quening yatu
Micacalugud cayu, ampo mipapanitindi cayu
Uling, miras yng aldo na malasac ya yng yatu
Muli cayu murin qng quecayung sapni




Photo Credit:


Tree Roots Tattoo
www.pinterest.com

50. BARRIO LA PAZ, LINO NING SAPANG QUITANGIL

Image of Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buenviaje,
patroness of barrio La Paz

La Paz is one of the agricultural barrios of Magalang. It is also one of the peaceful barrios in this town.  The beginnings of La Paz traced to the first settlement of barrio since Spanish period. According to some accounts, La Paz was a former part of nearby barrio Sto. Rosario. This area in that time is  called Lino; means clear. That term is got from the clear water which flows into Quitangil river. During that time, the whole place was devoted to the cultivation of sugarcane and rice. The prominent landowners of this place are mostly came from the town of Angeles. The spouses, Don Natalio Bondoc y Canlas; a former cabeza de barangay from Angeles chose to clear and settle in this place; together with his wife, Doña Agueda Paras. Another couple from Angeles, Don Fernando Tayag y Nunag, a native of Minalin and also served as cabeza de barangay in Angeles together with his wife, Doña Elena Paras y Castro settled in this place too. Another couple from Mabalacat, Don Santiago Muñoz and his wife, Doña Cornelia Gomez also settled in this place. Doña Agueda Paras introduced the devotion to Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buenviaje, popularly known as Virgen de Antipolo to her tenants; where they conducting nightly prayers. Doña Agueda also distributed rice and other stuff to her tenants. Few years later, the Tayag and Bondoc couples mortgaged their lands to Don Isidoro Santos of San Fernando; while the Munoz couple sell some of their land to Don Isidoro also. The Bondoc couple recovered their land, but due to failure of their sons to manage the land, they sold it to Don Tomas Dizon, a known landowner in nearby barrio San Isidro. The Tayag couple went back to Angeles when their land was taken over by Don Isidoro Santos. Interestingly, a son of Don Tomas Dizon, Arsenio married Bartola Santos, a daughter of Don Isidoro Santos. Thus their children are become the large landowners of La Paz until present. Barrio La Paz had five sitios and the origins of their name are  mentioned below:

Calamunding- derived from the word, calamunding, a citrus plant used in different native dishes. The scientific name of the plant is Fortunella japonica.

Cangatba or Lipat Sapa- means, across the riverbank; crossing Quitangil river.

Dilain- derived from word Lain means, a stems or leaves of taro, popularly known as gandus. 

Mabiabas- derived from the word, biabas, popularly known as Guava. This plant is very popular due to various traditional medical uses.

Mauli- means, southern part; opposite to pangulo, known as northern part.

Photo Credits:

Virgen de la Paz by the author.

Sources:

Bartolo, Louie Aldrin L. and Dizon, Lino L., The Magalang Book: The Historical Life and Culture of a Kapampangan Town (1605-2015), Manila (2016), National Commission for Culture and the Arts, pages 95, 125, 126, 127, 129.










49. PLAZA DE LA LIBERTAD OF MAGALANG

Plaza de la Libertad during Commonwealth Government Inauguration c. 1935
In this town, Plaza de la Libertad or Freedom Park is one of the famous landmarks located on the center of the town proper. It is sandwiched between by two famous landmarks, the San Bartolome Church on the west side and the Casa Tribunal known today as municipio on the east side. We are fortunate that Magalang has the only one of this kind of plaza in the whole Pampanga. According to the Luther Parker collections, the plaza was constructed around 1864. It was mentioned that the plaza was planted with beautiful Dapdap trees which marked the demarcation of the plaza. Spanish authorities in those times patterned the new town proper to other town proper models in Spain. Plaza de la Libertad witnessed some of the important historical events that happened in Magalang. In this plaza, where Fr. Ignacio Manzanares, OSA celebrated its first mass after the transfer of Magalang from barrio San Bartolome. It is the same person also who led the transfer of Magalang together with some prominent families. It was attacked and burned by the bandits in 1868 led by the notorious bandit leader, Isidoro Guinto. After they burned the plaza, they proceed to the church convent where they ambushed Fr. Ramon Sarrionandia, OSA, who started the construction of the present church edifice. Fortunately, Fr. Sarrionandia survived the ambush. During the revolutionary period, the plaza was made into brief battleground, the forces of the rebel officer, Pedro Pedroche positioned in the plaza and they attacked the positions of Colonel Lorenzo D. Camaya who was holed up inside the church convent, together with his Spanish prisoners. And when the Americans captured Magalang in November 5, 1899, Major General Arthur MacArthur personally ordered the burning of plaza and the rest of the town proper. 

Plaza de la Libertad during Bonifacio Day c. 1925

During American period, the plaza was become a place for every social occasions. In this period, when the beautiful gloriettas were added. Political rallies and campaigns were held in this plaza; lavish balls of social elite groups like Mountain Side club, were also held in this plaza. Some prominent politicians and businessman attended the annual ball of the club like presidents Sergio Osmeña and Manuel A. Roxas; Senator Benigno Aquino Sr., Jose Abad Santos and other handful of prominent persons in different fields. In this plaza, where the oldest statue of Dr. Jose P. Rizal was constructed; through the efforts of civic organization, Katipunan Mipanampun in 1923. During the socialist uproar in 1937, numerous peasants marched also in this plaza to air their discontent regarding to their conditions as tillers. During Japanese occupation, Japanese officers and local officials of Magalang held their political rallies here in this plaza to encourage the Magaleños to support the cause of Japanese sponsored government. During the liberation, American tanks were positioned in the plaza to contain the remaining Japanese forces in the town. 

Plaza de la Libertad c. 1963
After the war, the plaza was still used for different social gatherings of the town. In this plaza where the one of the darkest episodes of Magalang happened. On the night of December 28, 1963, the alleged hit men of Faustino del Mundo popularly known as Commander Sumulong assassinated the Magalang's beloved mayor, Benedicto T. Dayrit. Shortly, after his death, the local officials decided to rename the plaza into Benedicto T. Dayrit Plaza. It was reverted back to the original name later years. In this year also when the Mountain Side Club ceased to exist due to the trauma of the assassination. In 1979, the plaza was initially cited through the help of cinema. The classic movie, Ina, Kapatid, Anak held their some movie scenes in the plaza. In the same period were the well known mushroom edifices were added and native pine trees were planted replacing the old Dapdap trees. Recently, some scenes of the television drama show, The Good Son were also shot here in this plaza  

Plaza de la Libertad c. 2011. Shot from the church belfry
Today, the plaza was popularly known to the present generation as patio. The last renovation of the plaza was taken place in 1994. The huge salakot shaped covered court was later added. The plaza was still known today for the venue of campaign sorties of local officials during election period, religious gatherings, and other social events. Recently, it was again utilized for the celebration of town fiesta particularly for colorful festivals and events. The plaza was also venue for students from different schools in Magalang for conducting their practices for their school activities, plus, a dating place for couples! The sides of the plaza was known for baratillo later known as tiangge during town fiesta and Christmas season. This year, the municipal government initiated the major renovation project of the plaza. I wished that this project will become successful, we must not forget the reminders and contributions of the Plaza de la Libertad not only to our local history, but also as Magaleños. 

Photo Credits:

Plaza de la Libertad during Commonwealth Government Inauguration c. 1935, provided by Mrs. Josefina M. Castro. Note that another identical photo is in the possession of Mr. Alex R. Castro. 

Plaza de la Libertad during Bonifacio day c. 1925, provided by Mrs. Josefina M. Castro. 

Plaza de la Libertad c. 1963 taken from Capagmasusian Qng Aldo Pangasilang ning Magalang, Diciembre 28-29, 1963. 

Plaza de la Libertad c. 2011 from the possession of the author. 

Sources:

Bartolo, Louie Aldrin L. and Dizon, Lino L.; The Magalang Book: The Historical Life and Culture of a Kapampangan Town (1605-2015); Manila, National Commission for Culture and the Arts, 2016.

Documentos Historicos del Municipio de Magalang, Pampanga, Islas Filipinas, 1909, 1911, Luther Parker Collections, Box No. 3, Folder No. 56, Document No. 320, University of the Philippines Library, Diliman, Quezon City.

Magaleño Social Elite Clubs, www.amlatmagaleno.blogspot.com.  



  
    

48. MIRACULOUS IMAGE OF SAN AGUSTIN

Image of San Agustin of San Agustin, Magalang, Pampanga

Magaleños are known for their deep religiosity and faith. That's why Magaleños religiously follow every beliefs and traditions which was entrenched to their faith ever since. If Angeles had the miraculous, Apu Mamacalulu, Magalang had also the miraculous San Agustin. The saint itself was known as one of the Doctors of the Church; and also, the patron saint of religious order, Augustinians; who brought Christianity to the Philippines and also, the religious missionaries assigned, and eventually founded Magalang during Spanish period. The miraculous story of the image of San Agustin probably started during the Spanish period.  A popular account revealed that a certain group of tulisanes led by a certain Antero Dizon encamped in the nearby forests of Mt. Arayat. One of his men carved a small image of San Agustin in a tree trunk. However, due to their notoriety to the Spaniards, they left the place and the carved image was also abandoned. Some of the barrio folks of the nearby sitio Dapa found the small image in the forest and they brought it to Dapa. As years passed by, the small image was noticed gradually grew bigger and become miraculous. It was reported that through the miraculous image, it cured smallpox and other kinds of diseases. Sometimes, the image was too heavy and nobody can lift it. It can roam also around the barrio, if no candles are lighted in front of the image. 

Altar of San Agustin

Due to growing number of devotees of San Agustin, the landowner of the barrio, Don Raymundo Feliciano donated a piece of land, and a chapel was built for the miraculous image. Many intercessions of San Agustin was also witnessed by the barrio folks; when the whole barrio was in danger. One account revealed that, some of the barrio men were pursued by the suspected Huks. They were able to hide themselves inside the haystack but; they were able to track down by the pursuing Huks. When the Huks reached their hideouts, they fired multiple gunshots on the haystack, and they expected that they will kill them. After they fired the haystack, the Huks left the place. However, the barrio men noticed that they do not have any gunshots pierced on their bodies. Miraculously, they were saved by San Agustin from the danger! At present, many devotees flock to the small chapel of San Agustin in sitio Dapa every Friday, to offer prayers, seeking his intercession.  Aside from curing different diseases and ailments; San Agustin was believed also to grant wishes for couples who are childless. The miraculous image itself was only taken out during the barrio fiesta of San Agustin in August 28; and during the misa de maytinis held during Christmas eve. The image itself was brought to San Bartolome Parish Church, together with other patron saints of barrios, who are under the pastoral jurisdiction of the parish. 

Photo Credits:

The photos used in this article was personally taken by the author.

Source:

Cruz, Ceferina et. al., Historical and Cultural Life of Magalang, Pampanga; 1954, National Library of the Philippines page 18. 


       


47. E CA TATACUT



E Ca Tatacut
Nang: Louie Aldrin L. Bartolo

E ca tatacut
Ala cung marinat a balacan
Nune busilac a pamicasuiu
Ampo tuneng sampat a tula

E ca tatacut
Era ca ibili qng aclis
Era ca ibili qng ligalig
Era ca ibili qng lungcut

E ca tatacut
Yca mu ing canacung liag
Yca mu ing canacung isnaua
Yca mu ing canacung sampat

E ca tatacut
Era ca paburen qng antac 
Masqui manabu cu qng casaquitan
Angga qng tauli cung pangisnaua





Photo Credits:

images.muralsyourway.com




46. NUNG NINU CA MAN


Nung Ninu Ca Man
Nang: Louie Aldrin L. Bartolo

Nung ninu ca man
Tanggapan ra ca qng bie cu
Alang taung milalang qng yatu
Na casing pante ning Dios

Aliua mu ing santing ing magdala
Nune ing ganaca mu ing magtas
Lalawan cu man ing cecang santing
Lalu cung paniglon ing cayapan mu

Matula cu qng masuelu mung mata
Cumabie cu qng mayumu mung timan
Metagkil cu qng mayap mung gamat
Gamat na tune masabal at ayasahan 

Nung sana ica na ing panayan cu
Ipasiag cu ing pilub luban cu queca
Igulisak cu ing lagyu mu qng sabla
At isalicut da ca qng pusu cu capilan pa man



Photo Credits:

www.i.pinimg.com

45. AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION ATTRACTS YOUNG STUDENTS IN MAGALANG AND IN PAMPANGA



All we know that agriculture is very important in every aspect of our lives. It provides food and even economic benefits. Thus, the insular government of the Philippines supported agricultural education. They established agricultural schools in some provinces in the Philippines. We are lucky that they revitalized the existing agricultural experiment station located in the foothills of Mt. Arayat in Magalang. They decided to put up a school way back in 1901 but it was only in 1918 when it was formally implemented. The American authorities put up Pampanga Agricultural School and later it was renamed into Pampanga Agricultural High School which is known today as Pampanga State Agricultural University. In an news account according to the local Spanish language periodical, La Vanguardia; many students are attracted to pursue agricultural education. And many of them are came from different provinces in the Philippines. As stated by the periodical published in June 21, 1934:

"Surpassing the enrollment record last year, the Pampanga Agricultural High School's enrollment had been increased due to a new trend. The students are preferred to take practical studies than academic studies. The registration of the new students was extended until the 25th day of this month, and it will expected that more students are matriculated in this school than last year. The unexpected increase of enrollment in the agricultural school of this province; seems to indicate that many parents are sending their children to this school so that their children can attend practical studies; and academic studies seem don't produce satisfactory results. And despite of economic crisis that affected in the neighboring provinces, which the province of Pampanga is still unaffected; parents are convinced, that in order to ensure the empowerment of their children and to promote economic development of the province. And this is also the best way to make their children to learn and perfect themselves in the work for the stable economic of the province and for the whole country. This is verified by the fact that the enrollment in the high schools in Bacolor and San Fernando is lower compared to last year.    

Photo Credits:

www.historyplace.comunitedstateschildlaborhine-horse.

Source:

La Agricultura Atrae a Muchos en la Pampanga, La Vanguardia, Thursday, June 21, 1934, Manila page 3.